[xdebug-general] Re: Updated release of XDebugClient

From: Harold Naparst <hnaparst[@]gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 07:50:11 +0100

Thanks for the update to xdebug-client. My feedback is probably not what
you were looking for, but since you have asked for it:

1. Since geben works, the utility of a second client is limited. From
the perspective of a new user, it would be more useful to enhance the
client list with a current evaluation of the quality of the various
clients. As is often the case in the open-source world, a user is
presented with a list of 15 potential clients, 12 of which maybe haven't
been updated in a decade and might not work at all. It is unproductive to
force new users to go through a list of old, useless software to find one
that works.

 2. The main page xdebug.org consists of a changelog. I see this as a
suboptimal description of what xdebug's capabilities are. Rather, from a
new user's perspective, the main page should articulate what xdebug does
and does not do, and perhaps give some videos showing how to set it up. I
struggled for several days trying to understand why xdebug wasn't working,
only to discover that I needed two pieces on the client side: a
cookie-setter and a client program. Some how-to videos would have helped
me understand the basics.

3. It would be appropriate for the main page of xdebug.org to clearly say
what the program does and does not do. For instance, "*Xdebug is a plugin
for the Apache web server that allows remote clients to debug php scripts
running on the server. Xdebug also handles ruby and ..., but does not
handle C, C++, or CGI scripts. Please see our how-to videos to get started.
*"

Regards,
Harold