[xdebug-general] Re: Tracing Related Functions

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:17:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, Bill Brachhold wrote:

> Still have the 'hanging problem'. It has taken me this long to get back to
> this because I could not recover the Debian 'sarge' server that I had
> running, and had to backup and then install the lastest Debian OS called
> 'etch'. I now have a properly compiled 'xdebug.so' but I still cannot get
> the 'xdebug_start_trace' function to do anything other than hang the code.
> Code isn't 'hung' in the usual sense, but nothing else displays in the
> browser window once the php code hits the 'xdebug_start_trace' function
> call. I can hit the back arrow, and the browser responds and goes back one
> page.
>
> I've even made a specific directory, with full permissions, for
> 'start_trace' to write to, to no avail.

I did not find any such problems when trying it.

> Any more suggestions ?? Is there a way to get 'xdebug' to write a log file
> of what is going on behind the scenes ??

Nope, not like this. It's actually an OS feature... you can use
strace for this to figure out what is happening under the hood. For
this to work, do the following:

1. stop apache
2. run: strace /path/to/apache/binary/apache -X 2> /var/log/strace.log
3. request the web page
4. Check in /var/log/strace.log what is happening. You could gzip that
   strace.log file and send it to me if you wish.

PS: Could you please use "reply-all" and not use "top-posting"?