[xdebug-general] Re: Assistance with profiling

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:57:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Josh Samuels wrote:

> Hello,
> We have Xdebug installed on our server and it appears to be working. I get
> much nicer error messages now so I turned on profiling. The odd thing,
> profiling doesn't put data in the output files as expected. We do get
> output files but only for a cron job we have running every 6 hours (it's a
> php script). But the actual web site never generates an output file. Here
> is the xdebug portion of my php.ini file:
>
> zend_extension=/usr/local/etc/xdebug.so
>
> ;Profiling
> xdebug.profiler_enable=1
> xdebug.profiler_append=1
> xdebug.profiler_output_dir=/usr/home/flower0/tmp

Are you sure the webserver has rights to write to that directory? And
can you please check if Xdebug is actually loaded properly in the
webserver (check phpinfo() output)?

> Also note, we have append=1 and yet it doesn't append, it creates a new file
> every time.

That's most likely because the default configuration uses the PID of the
process in the filename. You need to configure it such that the
filenames are the same for each request, for example by using the %s
modifier (See http://xdebug.org/docs/all_settings#trace_output_name).