[xdebug-general] Re: Tracing memory usage question

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 18:41:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Hugo Rumens wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has encountered a similar issue:
>
> I've set up xdebug on my server and I've turned on auto-tracing.
>
> The traces are coming out fine, but what I don't understand is that I've set
>
> memory_limit = 70M
>
> in php.ini (and phpinfo shows it is taking effect)
>
> yet I have lines in my traces like so:
>
> 8.5151 97735256 -> devel_store_queries() www/docs/sites/all/modules/devel/devel.module:529
>
> This shows the memory in use at the time as ~ 97Mb
>
> The question is how can my xdebug trace be showing more memory being
> used than the memory_limit is set to? I'm trying to debug a script
> that's using too much memory and getting an out of memory fatal error,
> so understanding exactly what is going on here is important.

I think the only way this can happen, is when you don't have memory
limit enabled or compiled in altogether. AFAIR, we only did this by
default since PHP 5.2.1. Unlike your guess, Xdebug shows you the
*internal engine* memory, and not the memory usage of the whole apache
process.

Like Xdebug? Send a postcard: http://derickrethans.nl/xdebug_2_released.php