[xdebug-general] Re: Fwd: Eclipse PDT and xdebug error reporting (fwd)

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:08:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Dave Kelsey wrote:

> xdebug-general-bounce[@]lists.xdebug.org wrote on 23/04/2008 12:10:21:
>
> > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Federico Simoncelli wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all, I just started using xdebug with Eclipse PDT and I'm quite
> > > happy with it. My problem is that I'm not able to receive php
> > > errors and notices on the eclipse console. Is there any way to
> > > accomplish this? The xdebug output in the php pages breaks my
> > > ajax/json responses and I'm not even able to see it. Is there a
> > > way to communincate the errors/notices to the eclipse console
> > > instead?
> >
> > I've no idea what you mean here. I don't know much about Eclipse or
> > PDT.
> >
> > Perhaps somebody else on the list can help?
>
> My reading of this is that xdebug has an enhanced output when a php
> error is output which somehow breaks the application.

If you turn off html_errors in php.ini, this issue should be gone.

> As for PDT being able to get the output from the script. DBGp protocol
> has a couple of interesting commands stdout,stderr and notifications,
> and I assume xdebug supports these, so through one of these mechanisms
> I would hope to be able to capture information.

PHP only has one output stream (Stdout), so that one works. stderr does
not. As for notifications, they are meant for non-debugging related
events - sort of out-of-band things only. Error messages can be catched
by setting proper exception breakpoints:

breakpoint_set -i 1 -t exception -x Notice
breakpoint_set -i 2 -t exception -x Warning
breakpoint_set -i 3 -t exception -x Error
etc.

Like Xdebug? Send a postcard: http://derickrethans.nl/xdebug_2_released.php