[xdebug-general] Re: apache worker mpm crashes with xdebug 2.0.2

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:39:07 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Yuval Hager wrote:

> On Monday 17 March 2008, Derick Rethans wrote:
> >
> > You really should not be running worker mode.
>
> I switched to worker because of high memory use I experienced with
> prefork, and got such an advice. Are you saying that worker is flawed,
> or that there is no real reason to use it over prefork?

Worker uses threading - threading is not a good idea for PHP (and its
libraries). A better solution to fix memory issues is most likely to
use lighttpd in combination with fastcgi for PHP.

> > A stack trace is not useful without symbols, so please use an xdebug
> > dll compiled with symbols.
> >

> I think the gentoo ebuild does strip out the symbols even though I
> told it not to..

Well, I'd need it in order to debug it. Perhaps you can try compiling it
by hand?

> > > I have confirmed this does not happen with prefork MPM, or when
> > > xdebug is not installed. It looks to me like a thread safety
> > > issue..
> >
> > Yeah, quite possible :/ But there is *really* no reason to use
> > threading.
>
> Would you like to further pursue this and make xdebug work with worker
> mode, or should I just switch back to prefork and forget about the
> whole thing?

If memory usage is really an issue, go with lighttp+fastcgi I'd say. I
am not really *that* interested in debugging threading issues unless
it's really simple (and doesn't require installing a threaded apache).

Like Xdebug? Send a postcard: http://derickrethans.nl/xdebug_2_released.php