[xdebug-general] Re: An improvement idea for breakpoint_set command

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 12:26:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 1 May 2007, Jun Monnai wrote:

> Hello Derick,
>
> > This is related to another feature request:
> > http://bugs.xdebug.org/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=200
> >
> > However, it is also not trivial to do. For this to work the PHP script
> > needs to be parsed by the PHP interpreter and that can only be done
> > after a script has started. As setting a breakpoint in an IDE usually
> > happens before the script starts I have no idea on how to implement this
> > specific feature. Feel free to file at at http://bugs.xdebug.org
> > though.
>
> Yes, it is related, but this enhancement requires a bit different
> protocol change, so I filed this as new one.
>
> I see. I usually set breakpoints at ``starting'' state (just before
> execution starts). That time, is the main PHP file compiled?

Yes, it is. So that is where I can do something. Another possibility is
to do the checks whether breakpoints work at the moment a file is
included. You won't get a warning "breakpoint is set on non reachable
code" when you set it then, but atleast you get a warning when it is
possible to check whether it is possible to break at the given line.