[xdebug-general] Re: Tracing Related Functions

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:11:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Bill Brachhold wrote:

> I have a XDebug.so module running on a local area network-based Debian
> server. It shows up in phpinfo() like it is supposed to.
>
> Is it necessary for there to be a 'connection' back to a XDebug client
> running on my dev system (Win XP) or will these functions run
> stand-alone ? My php code seems to hang when it gets to the
> 'xdebug_start_trace' function. It seems to me that if this function
> is writing to the server where the code is running, that it would NOT
> need a connection back to the dev system. I use TextPad for editing,
> and Filezilla FTP to access the Debian server, so no php code is
> running on the dev system.
>
> void xdebug_start_trace(string trace_file [, integer options]) (Xdebug
> 2)
>
> void xdebug_stop_trace() (Xdebug 2)

Those two functions do not need any call back, and will write on the
server where the code is running. AFAIK it is only possible that the
start_trace function "hangs" in case it can not aquire a file lock or
something - this is something I could try to test in case it is a
persistent issue for you.

> Also, will the linux 'xdebug.so' connect to the simple xdebug client
> that I can run on my Win XP system ?? I've tried this, with the
> 'browser start' method, and never get a connection. I have gotten a
> connection when I've run the php code on my Win system with the simple
> debug client running, but this is NOT how the software system is going
> to be used

Yes, but you would need to configure a few things, such as to which IP
address to connect (xdebug.remote_host) and you of course have to enable
the debugger (xdebug.remote_enable).