[xdebug-general] Tracing Related Functions

From: Bill Brachhold <billbrach[@]hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 08:55:59 -0400

I have a XDebug.so module running on a local area network-based Debian server. It shows up in phpinfo() like it is supposed to.

Is it necessary for there to be a 'connection' back to a XDebug client running on my dev system (Win XP) or will these functions run stand-alone ? My php code seems to hang when it gets to the 'xdebug_start_trace' function. It seems to me that if this function is writing to the server where the code is running, that it would NOT need a connection back to the dev system. I use TextPad for editing, and Filezilla FTP to access the Debian server, so no php code is running on the dev system.

void xdebug_start_trace(string trace_file [, integer options]) (Xdebug 2)

void xdebug_stop_trace() (Xdebug 2)

Also, will the linux 'xdebug.so' connect to the simple xdebug client that I can run on my Win XP system ?? I've tried this, with the 'browser start' method, and never get a connection. I have gotten a connection when I've run the php code on my Win system with the simple debug client running, but this is NOT how the software system is going to be used

Bill