[xdebug-general] Re: New to XDebug -- a couple questions

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 09:34:54 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Daniel Vandersluis wrote:

> Well, the company is moving over from coldfusion to PHP, and want to have
> something similar to the CF debugging output (which displays a table of each
> file that executed and how long it took to execute) -- that's what I'm
> trying to figure out how to do (as it stands now, they have written their
> own include/require[_once] functions to do timing, but I'd rather not do
> that if at all possible.

With that you only read the loading time and not the time that was spend
executing in that file in total. It is not going to be that easy to do
to get this information per file... and I kinda wonder how this is
useful. Aren't you more interested in how much a specific function
takes?

> In terms of SQL, maybe how long a SQL query takes to execute? CF spits out
> something like "query_name (Datasource=postgresql, Time=453ms, Records=2) in
> /path/to/file @ 14:46:41.041" and then spits out the actual SQL query (ie.
> if you dynamically generated one, it would spit out what SQL was sent to the
> DB. Obviously query_name is meaningless in PHP, but the other stuff can be
> useful.

This can work if we overload the query functions, however, this is not
an easy task as we have to do this for PDO object's methods too. I can
perhaps cook up a patch for PDO for this though.