[xdebug-general] Remote debugging: Is a running local copy of the site necessary?

From: Steve <tinker123[@]gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 05:42:46 -0500

Hi,

I'm new to Xdebug.

I will be working on a PHP web site remotely. The development site and
files are on a server. I've been using an IDE to edit the files remotely
via SSH/FTP. When I "save" the file, it uploads back to the server.

I can have a local copy of the project files on my computer.

For various reasons I can't have Apache, PHP,.....a running local copy of
the site on my computer.

Is it still possible for me to remote debug the PHP site on the server?

I've been reading set up instructions for various IDEs and just have not
found anything that is clear about if this is possible and if it is how to
set it up.

The remote server does have Xdebug installed on it.

Thanks for any clues!

Steve