[xdebug-general] Re: problems compiling xdebug v2.2.5 on remote server

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 11:03:25 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, nnako wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was so much hoping that XDEBUG could be easy to install on my remotely
> hosted server...
>
> There have been some helpful sites so far, which try to explain what to do in
> order to get xdebug up and running, ready to be connected from the local
> machine. All pages seem to miss the important part (described further down):
>
> http://xdebug.org/docs/install
> http://www.weblizards.de/blog/2011/11/code-debuggen-auf-einem-remoteserver-mit-xdebug-und-netbeans/
> http://www.sven-kuegler.de/ubuntu/xdebug-fur-php5-unter-ubuntu-installieren
>
> Here is what I did so far (related to the installation process):
>
> - update of my hosting packet at www.1und1.de (German) to support SSH
> connections
> - get the PHP configuration from the remote server using phpinfo()
> - insert this HTML output into xdebug.org/wizard.php to get instructions. Then
> - download, transfer and extract the xdebug-2.2.5 tarball on the remote server
> - search and execute the right "phpize" that outputs the fitting PHP
> configuration
> - run "./configuration" with the appropriate PHP-configuration
> - run "make"
>
> Here, a lot of errors show up. Errors, I have not found any hints to solve
> them, yet. As I haven't had too many contacts to Linux or the compilation of
> PHP, yet, it would take me months to find a solution...
>
> Could someone have a look at the output? And get back to me? After solving
> this remote issue, I will try to get the local part (NetBeans) running and
> hopefully finally remotely debug PHP for Wordpress.

It shows that 1und1 doesn't have any php sources installed. I doubt that
they as a shared hoster allow extensions being compiled and loaded
though. You will have to ask their support whether you can "install PHP
shared extensions". For that you will need php.ini access (and not just
.htaccess).

cheers,

twitter: @derickr and @xdebug