[xdebug-general] Re: Feature request: ability to trigger profiling on certain system events (for example, CPU usage of php process)

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 07:48:51 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, oren[@]triond.com wrote:

> I would like to be able to trigger profiling on certain system events,
> such as process characteristics (CPU or mem usage), script runtime
> (above X seconds) etc.
>
> As I understand now, the only way to trigger profiling is either for
> all scripts, or through a cookie.
>
> I believe that triggering profiling on such events will make profiling
> much more focused. Right now if I want to catch a use case that
> happens 1 percent of the time, but generates 20 percent of the load, I
> have no way of pin-pointing it.

As you might have understood because of the late reply; I am rather
busy. Could you do me a favour and file this as a feature request at
http://bugs.xdebug.org ? I don't know how easy this would be though, as
currently profiling has to start from the beginning of the script. What
most likely will need to happen is that profiling is still done for
every script, but all the runs that do not match the criteria are
removed.

cheers,

twitter: @derickr and @xdebug