[xdebug-general] General question about the debugger

From: Matt Stopa <fatdogs12[@]gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 15:26:46 -0400

I think xdebug is very nice, especially being able to dump the stack trace
to a file. My question is if it had been considered (or is possible. I'm not
sure exactly) if it
could also log the line by line execution of a file, I think this would
allow you to very quickly find out what is the cause of the error and the
conditions that caused it.

for example:

php source code:
$b = 2;
$c = 10;
$var = $b * $c;

if ($var > 10)
   newFunction($var);

debug output code:
$b = 2; -> {$b = 2}
$c = 10; -> {$c = 10}
$var = $b * $c -> {$var = 2 * 10}

if ($var >10) -> {if (20 > 10) => TRUE }
    newFunction($var); -> { newFunction(20) }

I know this is highly verbose and for complicated programs this could be a
lot to sort through,
but for all those bugs that end up taking maybe an hour or more to locate
where the problem is even occurring
this seems like it could save an enormous amount of time.

Thanks very much for your time,
Matt