[xdebug-general] Re: what to do is the script can't be executed.

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:11:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Dave,

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Dave Kelsey wrote:

> hope you enjoyed your trip to London. It was great to finally meet you.

Yeah, London is nice :)

> Is it possible for xdebug to establish a debug session before a script is
> parsed and compiled ? If the parse/compilation step fails then xdebug
> could report this to the debugger before terminating the debug session.

I think that the first bit would be possible, however, I'd have to test
how easy it would be to actually catch the error here. I think that
there could be some engine trickery involved here.

> The reason I ask is that within PDT, I launch the url or process and then
> wait for xdebug to connect. I could check to see if the process has died
> and terminate waiting, but for a url I still need to have some idea that
> the script failed to execute. It looks like xdebug doesn't attempt to
> establish a debug session unless the script can be executed.

That's correct - it tries to make the connection in the first execute()
- which is usually the body of the script.

> What do you think ?

I think a feature request would be the best thing here. I'm a bit
occupied at the moment, but I think we should change this.

Like Xdebug? Send a postcard: http://derickrethans.nl/xdebug_2_released.php