[xdebug-general] Re: telnet session to debugclient

From: Darien Hager <darien.hager[@]etelos-inc.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:48:03 -0800

My suggestion is to ignore proxyinit--I believe that's meant to be used for
situations where you want to support multiple developers with different
debugging set-ups at the same time.

You aren't writing your own debugger IDE are you?

Here's what works for me, in two terminals, side by side.
First, start the debugclient.
Then, in another terminal, set the XDEBUG_CONFIG environment variable, and
run some PHP.

You should see the debugclient move on from "Waiting for debug server to
connect."

The commands for the simple client are listed here:
http://xdebug.com/docs-dbgp.php#core-commands

Most commands must have a -i argument which corresponds to the XDEBUG_CONFIG
variable that you set.
_____________________________________
terminal1[@]host tmp$ ./debugclient-0.9.0
Xdebug Simple DBGp client (0.9.0)
Copyright 2002-2004 by Derick Rethans.
- libedit support: enabled

Waiting for debug server to connect.
Connect
<init xmlns="urn:debugger_protocol_v1" xmlns:xdebug="
http://xdebug.org/dbgp/xdebug" fileuri="file:///tmp/Command line code"
language="PHP" protocol_version="1.0" appid="13135" idekey="root"><engine
version="2.0.2"><![CDATA[Xdebug]]></engine><author><![CDATA[Derick
Rethans]]></author><url><![CDATA[http://xdebug.org]]></url><copyright><![CDATA[Copyright
(c) 2002-2007 by Derick Rethans]]></copyright></init>
(cmd) status -i mykey
<response xmlns="urn:debugger_protocol_v1" xmlns:xdebug="
http://xdebug.org/dbgp/xdebug" command="status" transaction_id="mykey"
status="starting" reason="ok"></response>

term2[@]smithers tmp$ export XDEBUG_CONFIG=mykey
term2[@]smithers tmp$ php -r "echo 'hello world';"

I would not recommend using the debugclient for production work, since...
well, I think it's more for a reference implementation than for ease of use.

--
Darien Hager
Developer