[xdebug-general] debugging multi-page applications

From: Noah Mercer <noah_ten[@]yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:34:42 -0700 (PDT)

Please forgive the newbie-ness of this question; I've only recently started using PHP debuggers at all and XDebug in specific (most of my experience is with Java). Based on my experiences with Java debuggers,. I'd expect a debugging session to go something like this: (1) I set some breakpoints (2) I start the debugger (3) I begin using the app in my web browser (4) At any point when code that has a breakpoint set executes the debug client is triggered and execution halted It doesn't seem to work that way with a multi-page PHP application, though. Imagine a SubmitInput.php page that has a form which calls a ShowResults.php page. If I call http://example.com/SubmitInput.php?XDEBUG_SESSION_START=SOMETHING&KEY=1, the debug client (I'm using debugclient-0.9.0) triggers. I set a breakpoint somewhere in the ShowResults.php page (but none in the SubmitInput page) and I type "run -i 2" the status that comes back is "stopped". And it really does seem to be stopped: If I go to my browser and submit the form the breakpoint in ShowResults.php is never triggered. (And I've tried using xdebug_break() as well as the breakpoint_set command; neither one stops in this scenario.) Is there a way to configure XDebug/debugclient so that I can wander through the pages of my application at will and have it stop on any breakpoint set in any file, regardless of which page I entered the application on? Or will it always go to a "stopped" state when the current script finishes execution? Some environment information: WinXP Apache 2.x PHP 5.2.3 xdebug-2.0.0-5.2.2 debugclient-0.9.0 Thanks, Noah Mercer