[xdebug-general] Re: Questions

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:57:17 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Martin,

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Martin Streicher wrote:

> Hello, all. My name is Martin Streicher. I am the Editor-in-Chief of Linux
> Magazine, and I wrote about Xdebug and profiling code for IBM's developerWorks
> some months ago.
>
> I am returning to write about Xdebug again -- this time about its debugging
> features. I have a few questions:
>
> 1. Is there a way to easily show all cookies for example? What would the
> setting for xdebug.dump_COOKIES be? Are there global dump options for the
> other superglobals?

xdebug.dump.COOKIE=* will dump all cookies on each php
warning/notice/etc.

> 2. What open source interactive debugger is best? I like Zend Studio and will
> mention it, but I also want to point to an open source alternative. (Yes, I
> know about the command-line, too.)

I really don't know what is the best one, but I listed a couple of
clients at http://xdebug.org/docs/remote . There is also a Google SoC
project under way that is implementing a cross-platform open source DBGp
client.

> 3. What extensions are known to conflict with Xdebug? I am using PHP 4.3 on a
> Debian Sarge machine. I disabled XCache and memcache to get Xdebug to work --
> so at least one of those must clash. Others?

Zend's zend-extensions. They prohibit Xdebug from loading. memcache
should not conflict, but you're using an ancient PHP version (4.3). TO
see the full power of Xdebug you'd need atleast PHP 5.1.

> 4. What is a recommended suite of settings for Xdebug?

It all depends on the task that you're doing. The suite of settings is
different whether you're just debugging while developing, tracing,
profiling or remote-debugging.