[xdebug-general] Re: Difficulties to get xdebug to work on SuSE 10.2 - PHP5.2 - Apache 2

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]derickrethans.nl>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:46:59 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Braukmann, Juergen wrote:

> I cannot get xdebug to work (i.e. display output like in the screenshots
> page) All I get to see ist the standard error message, but no traces. ;-(
> I was deeply confused by several php.ini files under /etc/php5/something,
> but figured out that I only need the one in the /apache2 directory.
> I enabled some error reporting there (error_reporting = E_ALL,
> display_errors = On, track_errors = On)
> I also added some old lines from my old php.ini (php4)
> xdebug.remote=On, xdebug.remote_handler = gbd, xdebug.remote_mode= On,
> xdebug.remote_enable=On
> (I do not know whether I realy need the latter ones...)
>
> I am using:
> - SuSE 10.2 with
> - Apache 2.2.3
> - PHP 5.2.0
>

> I do not realy understand the connection between the apache module and
> particulary the debug-client irritates me; I think I just need the module
> which is shown loaded in phpinfo().

Yes, it needs to show up in two places:
1. next to the Zend logo in the first block
2. as a normal extension block named "xdebug"

> Are there any hints what do to to get the thing back working? xdebug
> was quite helpful and worked nice on my old install with php....

There are a couple of things that you can check:

1. is your PHP compiled with --enable-versioning (see configure
   line in phpinfo() output)?
        yes => recompile PHP without this setting, as it generates many
               issues
2a. is your PHP compiled in ZTS mode? (See the "Thread Safety" value in
    phpinfo())?
2b. is your PHP compiled in debug mode? (See the "Debug Build" value in
    phpinfo())?
        The basic name for the setting to load Xdebug is
        "zend_extension". If you are in Debug mode add "_debug" to that
        name. If you are in ZTS mode add "_ts" to that name. (in this
        order)

3. Did you specify the full path to the xdebug .so file when loading it
   in php.ini? An example could be
   "zend_extension=/dat/dev/php/xdebug/modules/xdebug.so"

If possible, please provide a link to your phpinfo() online.