[xdebug-general] Re: Xdebug support for languages other than PHP

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:27:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Nick Trout wrote:

> At the moment PHP and the xdebug library look fairly inseparable. I'm
> perhaps looking at taking pieces of code (under the license terms) and
> either abstracting a language agnostic xdebug library with hooks for PHP
> and Lua, or just making a library for Lua (obviously less work!).
>
> Are there any plans to refactor xdebug into a "dbgp client library" and
> "dbgp PHP library"? Are there other languages that would benefit?

I've no real plans of supporting other languages with Xdebug, as it's -
as you said - quite integrated. Some of the functionality might be a bit
more abstracted for easier use by other langauges, but I've no plans to
do so. I would suggest you write your own debugger for Lua instead.

What I'm wondering about if you're planning on making a
cross-platform debugger, which is not tied into an IDE, based on Xdebug.
That would be a great thing as there are only debugger GUIs that are
tied into an IDE, and I simply like to use my own (vim :) ).

> P.S. I'm not on the mailing list so would appreciate being cc'd. Thanks.

Fine, as long as you keep cc-ing the mailing list :)