[xdebug-general] Xdebug support for languages other than PHP

From: Nick Trout <nick[@]rockstarvancouver.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:41:54 -0700

I was wondering if there were any plans to support other languages
besides PHP with xdebug? I've been reading the docs and the DBGP
specification appears to be language agnostic. I'm interested in writing
a debugger for the language Lua:

        http://www.lua.org/
        http://lua-users.org/wiki/VisLua
        http://lua-users.org/wiki/VisLuaImplementation

I'd like to use the DBGP spec in order to try and reuse a GUI client.
I'm also interested in the profiling and coverage tools, which I hadn't
previously planned, but would be useful.

At the moment PHP and the xdebug library look fairly inseparable. I'm
perhaps looking at taking pieces of code (under the license terms) and
either abstracting a language agnostic xdebug library with hooks for PHP
and Lua, or just making a library for Lua (obviously less work!).

Are there any plans to refactor xdebug into a "dbgp client library" and
"dbgp PHP library"? Are there other languages that would benefit?

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. I'm not on the mailing list so would appreciate being cc'd. Thanks.