[xdebug-general] Re: dbgp protocol and base64

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:40:57 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Brian Burns wrote:

> I have the xdebug2.0 beta2 module installed and working properly. I'm
> using the debugclient. When I request a source file, "source -i foo -f
> url..", I get the file returned but it's base64 encoded. This is fine,
> if you have a nice IDE driving the protocol, but I'm just using the
> simple debugclient. Is there a way to shut off the the base64? I tried
> using the feature_set command, "feature_set -i foo -n data_encofing -v
> none" but it returned "invalid or missing options".

There is no way to turn off base64 encoding due to the "one-line"
restriction of the debug protocol. In the most ideal case the command
line client should interpret the XML, but this is not done yet.

> My second question is what is the best way to use the GDB protocol? I
> could possibly hook that up to something like ddd? The only reason why
> I would use the GDB protocol at this point is because the are freebie
> GDB clients out there. Besides the debugclient command line client,
> there does'nt seem to be any clients besides proprietary ones?

I think it's just too different from the real GDB that it will not work
with DDD, although I never tried it myself. There is a free client out
there though, it's called WeaverSlave (windows only):
http://www.weaverslave.ws/index.39.html and I think this actually uses
the GDB protocol.