[xdebug-general] Re: xdebug: thanks, offline doc, visualization for win32

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:14:51 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, dAniel hAhler wrote:

> I tried xdebug 2.0.0beta1 at work, but could not get it to connect to
> the debug client.. xdebug 1.3.2 worked (with client 0.7).

You need debugclient 0.8 and make sure you configure the correct port!
Also, read the instructions here: http://xdebug.org/docs-debugger.php

> Just tried it at home, first with 1.3.2 which worked as expected, but
> the beta of version 2 did no auto-trace nor profiling. But I found the
> problem: xdebug.profiler_output_dir and xdebug.trace_output_dir were set
> to some nonexistent directory due to a typo.. :/
> Couldn't you catch this and display a warning? IIRC 1.3.2 did this -
> though it seemed to be thrown there on every tried file access.

I suppose I can, though this will not be high on my to-do list. Please
file a request for this at http://bugs.xdebug.org so that I will not
forget.

> I'd suggest you provide a offline documentation to download (might be
> just zipped html), because it's quite you'll often need to lookup some
> ini settings or available infos and when you have not cached the pages
> I for example have to dialup just for this.. OTOH this made me think
> about setting up Squid again.. :)

This is already online, see the link "Download documentation" at
http://xdebug.org/docs.php

> And: do you know of a win32 visualization tool for the cachegrind-data?
> Might I be able to run KCachegrind in my cygwin environment?

If you run X and KDE on cygwin too, then KCachegrind will work fine. I
am not aware of any other visualization tools yet.

PS: Please use reply-all when replying!