[xdebug-general] Re: Remote debugging: Is a running local copy of the site necessary?

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 11:01:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 1 Feb 2018, Steve wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Xdebug.
>
> I will be working on a PHP web site remotely. The development site and
> files are on a server. I've been using an IDE to edit the files remotely
> via SSH/FTP. When I "save" the file, it uploads back to the server.
>
> I can have a local copy of the project files on my computer.
>
> For various reasons I can't have Apache, PHP,.....a running local copy of
> the site on my computer.
>
> Is it still possible for me to remote debug the PHP site on the server?
>
> I've been reading set up instructions for various IDEs and just have not
> found anything that is clear about if this is possible and if it is how to
> set it up.

As long as you have the exact code locally as well as remote, this
situation should work fine. If the code is on a slightly different
location, then you might need to make a path mapping. I have only ever
done this with PhpStorm, but it works well there.

This should explain it on the PhpStorm side:
http://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/PhpStorm/Zero-configuration+Web+Application+Debugging+with+Xdebug+and+PhpStorm

cheers,

Like Xdebug? Consider a donation: https://xdebug.org/donate.php,
or become my Patron: https://www.patreon.com/derickr