[xdebug-general] Re: having troubles installing xdebug

From: Spencer Williams <enderandpeter[@]yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 09:14:33 -0700

On 11/11/2017 1:22 PM, מיכל יוסף wrote:
> Hi
> finally fixed it by adding to php.ini -
>
> [XDEBUG]
> xdebug.remote_enable = 1
> xdebug.remote_autostart = 1
>

> please add it to installation instructions

> <enderandpeter[@]yahoo.com <mailto:enderandpeter[@]yahoo.com>>:
>

> > On Nov 8, 2017, at 4:16 PM, מיכל יוסף <ilovebreslev[@]gmail.com
> <mailto:ilovebreslev[@]gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> > I installed the latest php version
> > and let xdebug analyze my phpinfo
> > and than followed the instructions.
> > its not working
> > and i dont know what to do
> >
> > thanks in advance
> > Michal
>
> Hey good sir. You should enable logging. It can typically help
> find out where the disconnect is. It will help determine whether
> or not your IDE really is trying to connect to Xdebug as well as
> shed light on whether or not the server is likewise connecting
> with your IDE. I hope if you share some of the log messages, it
> will help us determine what’s going on.
>
> Also, you should give us some more detail about how you have set
> things up. Thanks!
>
> -- Spencer

Hey, Michal. I'm glad you got it working! Ah, I apologize I should have
specifically asked to see what your Xdebug INI settings looked like.

I admit that the Xdebug site documentation would greatly benefit from
something like a Quick Start guide geared towards a very a particular
scenario. That's basically what I've tried to do on my own site
<https://aninternetpresence.net/dev-guides/amp/xdebug/> as far using
PHPStorm and Eclipse.

The best page to understand the config options is the Remote Debugging
page <https://xdebug.org/docs/remote> on the main site. Definitely be
sure to review all of the descriptions there about what options are
available. Basically, the site documentation is meant to give you all of
the details rather than recommend a specific setup.

Indeed, *xdebug.remote_enable* is the most essential setting. I would
agree that it could be highlighted a lot more strongly that if this
setting is not enabled, nothing will work. Enabling
*xdebug.remote_autostart* is a great quick way to get started. It will
make Xdebug always try to start a remote debugging session with the
client as opposed to requiring a GET/POST variable or cookie to
establish such a connection. Without that option, you'd need to make
sure your IDE/text editor is actively or passively making a connection
with Xdebug. Also, when you make the request in your browser to trigger
Xdebug in your IDE/text editor, the request has to have a GET/POST
variable named XDEBUG_SESSION_START or a cookie named XDEBUG_SESSION.
The value can be anything unless you specify it in the *xdebug.idekey*
setting.

I hope that helps clear things up as well. Let us know if you have any
other questions. Good to know you're up and running now.

--
-Spencer