[xdebug-general] Re: Questions about Xdebug's profiling and tracing

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:19:33 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013, Balåzs Ádåm Wittmann wrote:

> 1. As I see, the size and the content of the profiling and the tracing
> output files always different. In other words, every similar page
> request I send to the browser results different profiling and tracing
> output files. For example if I choose the Xdebug helper's "Profile"
> option, and send a page request to the server, after the response the
> profile output file sometimes contains thousands of lines, but after
> another request it just contains a few hundred lines. Of course I
> deleted the old output files between the page requests. So the content
> of the profiling and tracing output files always changes, while the
> server runs the same tasks. Is it normal? Why this is happening?

What is likely happening is that one browser request creates more
than one request to the webserver. In that case, things can be
overwritten. If you play with the extra options for both
xdebug.trace_output_name and xdebug.profiler_output_name as described at
http://www.xdebug.org/docs/execution_trace#trace_output_name you should
be able to get xdebug to create a separate file per URL f.e. (with the
%R specifier).

> 2. Sometimes, I just can't find some functions in the profiling and
> tracing output files, but I'm sure that they called during the page
> request. For example, lets say that I have a function in my module,
> which called mymodule_custom_function() for instance. I'm sure that
> this function called during the page request, because this is an
> important (always called) part of the service I used. After the
> server's response I open my profiling or tracing output files, but I
> can't find the mymodule_custom_function() function in the whole
> document. I don't understand. Why is that?

I think it's the same reason as for above.

cheers,

twitter: @derickr and @xdebug