[xdebug-general] Re: xdebug performance enhancements

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 22:05:44 +0100 (BST)

Hi!

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011, Taavi Burns wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 7:50 AM, Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org> wrote:
> > I've no idea either yet. I guess either writing a mail like this or
> > using the "Create pull request" functionality works. I'll be looking at
> > your patches later today. Thanks so far!
>
> Sounds great. I opened 2 pull requests for you. I hear github makes it
> _really_ easy to incorporate the changes if they're good as-is (and
> allows for commenting etc). :)

I've merged them (but not yet pushed them, will do some testing first).
I had to change the cache filename one because you used void * and not
xdebug_coverage_file* and some cosmetic changes.

> When I was poking around at the xdebug build itself (trying to get C
> profiling working), I noticed that xdebug itself is compiled with -O0.
> Is there a particular reason for that? I tried forcing it to the usual
> -O2, and it had a similar percentage speedup as the two optimizations
> I just submitted (and works well with my changes, too, for even more
> speed).

The reason was that some (old) compilers caused issues with -O2 and so I
forced -O0. I don't think that's required anymore so feel free to make a
feature branch for that too unless I beat you to it.

cheers,

twitter: @derickr and @xdebug