[xdebug-general] Re: Suspend+resume execution from debugger

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 10:11:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Arne Steinarson wrote:

> We use XDebug in a large number of PHP framework installations that we
> adapt a lot.
>
> One issue that comes back often is to be able to break execution
> inside a living PHP request (connected to debugger on port 9000), in
> order to see what is going on (and taking long time).
>
> Ideally, we hit a "break" button and the effect is the same as hitting
> a breakpoint. We can then check the stack trace to see what is going
> on.
>
> I haven't seen this possibility in debuggers with XDebug backend.
>
> Is it possible? Difficult to implement? Is it on a roadmap?

The protocal that Xdebug uses (DBGp) has support for this:
http://xdebug.org/docs-dbgp.php#asynchronous-communications But right
now Xdebug doesn't implement this yet. I am a bit strained on spare
time, but I would love to add this feature though and be happy to
discuss it with you.

cheers,

twitter: @derickr and @xdebug