[xdebug-general] Re: Xdebug slows down response

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 12:00:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Bill Moran wrote:

> > While working with the symfony framework and having xdebug enabled on my
> > Apache 2.2.14/PHP 5.3.1 Macbook Pro, I noticed that the local web
> > server's response times are much slower, about 1.5 seconds or more per
> > request. If I disable the xdebug extension, then that large delay
> > disappears.
> >
> > I'm curious if this delay is avoidable.
>
> xdebug is recording every action the script takes, and the time it takes
> to do so. Adding a hook at every function call adds a certain amount of
> overhead.

Actually, it all depends on how many things you've enabled. With the
default settings, there shouldn't be too much overhead actually.
Turning on any sort of tracing features will definitely hit
performance. I don't know how much time your normal requests take,
but I see about 10-50% performance hit only.

Like Xdebug? Send a postcard: http://derickrethans.nl/xdebug_2_released.php
twitter: @derickr and @xdebug