[xdebug-general] xdebug code coverage information is confusing

From: dan nessett <dnessett[@]yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 08:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I have used xdebug to develop code coverage information on the parser in the mediawiki software. When looking at the results, some seem wrong. For example, there are two files that have exactly one executable line in them (all others are either comments or blank). Yet, xdebug reports two executable lines in the file (I used xdebug_start_code_coverage(XDEBUG_CC_UNUSED) to gather code coverage information). One possibility is the file is not terminated by a ?> sequence. Could this be the problem?

Also, it seems the line numbers reported by the code coverage logic start at 0 (I infer this since one file has an entry specifying [0] => 1). However, other line numbers appear to be off by one. Have I made the correct assumption about line numbering?

Finally, I could find no details on the xdebug web site that explains the line numbering algorithm used by xdebug. Is this described somewhere?

Thanks,

Dan Nessett