[xdebug-general] Re: Installation woes

From: Paul Shoemaker <paul.shoemaker[@]helloecho.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:02:14 -0500

I, too, have had my share of xdebug woes that required a fair amount of
searching on my part so I can understand your pain :-) .

Personally, I use vim for all of my coding and debugging and found
http://tech.blog.box.net/2007/06/20/how-to-debug-php-with-vim-and-xdebug-on-
linux/ to be the most concise reference.

I would, personally, recommend compiling your php extensions (read: xdebug)
from source and installing from make. This article goes over that, but
generally consists of the following:

1. cd into extension source
2. phpize
3. sudo make
4. sudo make install

I will also point out to make sure that you use the correct directive in the
ini for the extension. Particularly zend_extension_ts is for thread safe
builds of php (all windows iis builds and some apache builds),
zend_extension is for ³regular² php builds (no thread safe and no debug),
and, in my particular case, zend_extension_debug are for php builds with
debug flags. It took me a bit to find this information.

Check your build by issuing php ­ i | grep - i configure and look for things
such as ‹enable-maintainer-zts for thread safe and ‹enable-debug for debug
builds.

Also, verify that your extension directory is correctly defined as well by
using php ­ i | grep - i extension and look for extension_dir. This is
what you should put in the ³zend_extension = ³ area.

Be sure to restart apache after you install the extension so it will load.

After all of this and having consulted other online documentation you should
have a properly loading extension. Check out the box.net article from the
beginning of this email for more information about getting breakpoint
debugging to work as it is a bit more involved.

Paul Shoemaker | Application Developer
paul.shoemaker[@]helloecho.com
615.290.4342 ph | 615.777.5119 fax

echo | Hello. Hello. | helloecho.com