[xdebug-general] Re: Apache keeps crashing on Vista

From: Jason Riffel <jason[@]cipreporting.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 11:32:46 -0400

Marcos, See my recent post here:

http://xdebug.org/archives/xdebug-general/1489.html

Surprisingly, I got no responses. I use a WAMP stack on Vista with
xdebug and I had the same problems, luckily for me I build my WAMP stack
from sources in debug mode for development so I was able to actually
debug the exceptions. That thread details what I did to fix things and
includes patches.

I'm not sure how the various unix like OSs work with file handles and
runtime libraries (including stdin, stdout, stderr as well) but under
Win32 they are stored in private collections within each runtime
library. On Vista you probably have about 4 to choose from (VC6 and
down, VS2003, VS2005, and VS2008). In a WAMP stack its common for file
handles like stdin, stdout, and also file handles to source files to get
passed around between various DLLs that play a part in the mix. If
these DLLs are not linked with the same runtime libraries you will
crash. This is why I chose to build my system myself and avoid DLLs in
PHP for static linking where possible.

The runtime DLL issue is not related to my previous post with patches,
but is something that I know many people have problems with and dont
even know it - it is likely you are suffering from one of these 3 symptoms.

--Jason Riffel