[xdebug-general] debug cycle never ends

From: Dennis Birne <birne[@]007mail.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:49:34 +0200

Hi list!

I am trying to get xdebug to work but somehow it doesn't do what I want.

Whenever I start a new debugging session in Eclipse, Eclipse opens a new
browser window (/tab) and my webserver gets a request. Eclipse catches
that request and the line indicator sits on the first line of the
index.php. If I now tell the debugger to "resume" the whole php script
gets executed. So far, so fine.

However, the browser still displays no content while it's loading
indicator in the browser keeps turning. When monitoring the network with
ngrep, I can see that no content has beed delivered so far. Once I
terminate the debugging session in eclipse, the content gets transferred
and rendered and all is fine. Except for that debugging is not really
possible this way.

This is a list on xdebug, not on eclipse neither on the PDT plugin of
eclipse, I know. I also tried to exchange Eclipse with debugclient-0.9.0
but did not manage to send the appropriate command to tell the webserver
to continue debugging so I could not verify wether my problem is an
eclipse or xdebug issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also any instructions on how to provide
more information about my system / problem will be followed.

My environment:
* Kubuntu 7.10
* Eclipse 3.3.2
* PDT 1.0.2
* PHP 5.2.3-1ubuntu6.3
* Zend Engine v2.2.0
* Xdebug v2.0.3

the interesting part of php.ini looks like this:

zend_extension=/usr/lib/php5/20060613+lfs/xdebug.so
xdebug.remote_enable = 1
xdebug.remote_handler = dbgp
xdebug.remote_mode = req
xdebug.remote_log = /var/log/apache2/xdebug.log
xdebug.remote_port = 9000
xdebug.remote_host = localhost
xdebug.profiler_output_dir = /tmp
xdebug.collect_includes=1

For testing this, I use a most simple php script:

<?php
echo "hello";
?>

By the way: no log messages get appended to /var/log/apache2/xdebug.log
(file exists, is empty, has 777 permissions)

Looking forward for any answers..

    Dennis