[xdebug-general] Re: Wish and idea for supporting break command

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 08:42:36 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Jun Monnai wrote:

> Currently Xdebug does not accept break command while
> the language engine is running.
>
> I guess that the main reason of it is performance.
> Checking in-comming command on every statement execution
> is too expensive. May be my guess is wrong.
>
> So, how about checking in-comming (break) command every
> 100 (or 255, whatever) statements execution.
>
> This way, performance down should not be so bad, and
> at least I can break the target execution from debugger
> client without restarting Apache ;-)
>
> I hope you like this idea.

It shouldn't be too bad performance wise actually, to check after ever
statement. With some clever socket magic that can be kept under control.
However, changing the debugger interface to support this kind of
interruptions is a different story. This is something I can not put into
version 2.0, but it might be something to look at for version 2.1. Could
you please file a feature request at http://bugs.xdebug.org about it?