[xdebug-general] Compiling 'xdebug.so' on Debian

From: Bill Brachhold <billbrach[@]hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 05:45:04 -0400

Wow, what a pain this has been. Trying to do this has clobbered my Debian v2.4 system. I finally have it back up and running.

The only oddity on my system is that Automake is ver 1.4, and not 1.5. When I tried to install 1.5 is when it broke my system. Automake 1.5 REMOVES php4-dev, which seems to be incompatible with Automake 1.5. After installing 1.5, system was broke in the sense that php in apache2 did NOT work anymore. Any php file I tried to run wanted to be opened in the browser, instead of it being executed. Broke mySQL too, but as I said, I think I have my system back.

During the compile process, everything *seems* to work until I get to the 'make' step.

'make' returns this error and as such, 'xdebug.so' is not built:

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [xdebug.la] Error 1

Does anybody know what the problem is here ??

-OR-

Is there anybody that could email me a zip, gzip or whatever archive, of a properly compiled 'xdebug.so' for Apache2 and php 4.4.4 ??

Thanks,

Bill