[xdebug-general] Setup problems

From: Yannick Warnier <ywarnier[@]beeznest.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:09:47 +0100

Hi there,

I'm having problems getting the xdebug server to report to the xdebug
client (but read on, cause I have a very specific question at the end).

I downloaded xdebug 2.0.0beta5 from the website, installed and checked
it was in my phpinfo().

Then I went to the setup doc for the debugger
(http://www.xdebug.org/docs-debugger.php) and followed the step-by-step
guide to setup my server and compile my client.

This is my php.ini's xdebug section:
[xdebug]
xdebug.remote_enable = On
xdebug.remote_autostart = On
xdebug.remote_host = localhost
xdebug.remote_port = 17869
xdebug.remote_handler= dbgp
xdebug.remote_mode = req
xdebug.auto_profile = On
xdebug.profiler_enable = 1
xdebug.output_dir = /tmp

I also tried 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost for remote_host.

I restarted my Apache server after the config, then started my xdebug
client:
me[@]lee:~/src$ ./debugclient
Xdebug Simple DBGp client (0.9.1)
Copyright 2002-2005 by Derick Rethans.

Waiting for debug server to connect.

The I loaded one of my pages with an additional GET parameter of
XDEBUG_SESSION_START=yannick, but that didn't trigger anything in my
client.

Now the question is... Do I need to update my code and add xdebug
functions in it to actually start xdebug output?

I can understand quite easily that it would be necessary, but the
problem is that nothing in the most basic doc to set the server up
mentions that, so it's quite unclear.

Thanks,

Yannick