[xdebug-general] suggestions for busy site

From: yoel k <yoel.h.k[@]gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:46:30 -0500

Thanks to all your help with getting xdebug 2.0.0 beta 2 working on freebsd.

There are some issues that I have to get around and was wondering if
anyone has any suggestions.

I'm trying to use xdebug to profile a very busy site. Turning xdebug
on alone is an issue as I have to disable mmcache to enable xdebug.
Disabling mmcache slows down the site considerably, so keeping xdebug
installed all the time is not an option: i will have to enable it when
needed and then disable it when I'm done.

The other issues are that a) enabling auto_profile creates a huge load
on the server, and b) since xdebug only profiles lines of code that
get used, anyone trying to access the site will override the profiling
i'm testing for. A page being loaded many times and saving many
profiles on top of eachother makes it impossible for me to profile.

The solution would be to enable profiling only for _me_, but since
profiling can only be enabled in php.ini that makes it very difficult.

So,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to profile a very busy site?

Thanks!