[xdebug-general] Re: Log has "MUST be loaded as a Zend extension"

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:46:49 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Jon Schneider wrote:

> It looks like Xdebug will be really good once I've got the hang of it.
>
> On a FreeBSD4.10 platform I've built the .so from the 2.0.0beta1 source,
> put a suitable extension= line in my php.ini and seen that phpinfo() shows
> it's there.
>
> My httpd error log has this
>
> PHP Warning: Xdebug MUST be loaded as a Zend extension in Unknown on line 0
>
> My simple question is what is this trying to tell me ? I thought it _was_
> a Zend extension just by being a php one.

Nope, that is incorrect. A PHP extension you load with extension=, a
Zend extension can hook into a bit more of the core of PHP and is loaded
with one of the zend_extension*= variants. That you need to use
zend_extension= is also described in the Xdebug documentation:
http://xdebug.org/install.php

> One or two other questions.
>
> How does one actually _get_ the output you have on your docs-profiling.php
> page ? Using auto profiling and without modifying the code the output is
> only the fairly unreadable stuff.

The line in the menu says:
 Profiling: Xdebug 1, Xdebug 2

Click on the 'Xdebug 2' link and read that page.

> To get some output I have tried calling xdebug_dump_function_profile() but
> that seems not to exist. I'm slightly confused as to whether this actually
> exists in version 2.
>
> Your documentation page mentions [1],[2] markings but then has (Xdebug 1)
> next to this function. Or is that supposed to mean that it is discussed on
> profiling doc page 1 ?

The documentation says:
"Functions marked with [1] in the following index are only available in
Xdebug 1.3 and all functions marked with [2] are only available in
Xdebug 2.x."

Note the words "following index". And obviously, when there is "Xdebug
2" next to a function name, it won't work with Xdebug 1.3.

And next time, please send mail to the xdebug-general mailinglist, there
might be other people who can answer your questions or find them useful.