[xdebug-general] Meaning of 'Self' column in KCacheGrind

From: Bert Slagter <bert[@]procurios.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:57:41 +0200

Good afternoon,

Now XDebugs works fine here, I started profiling. But I find it hard to
get really useful information from KCacheGrind. I loaded a
cachegrind.out dump from an application we're currently developing. But
almost all large chunks of time are spent in the "Self" column of functions.

For example: We have a procedural core.php which initializes and loads
everything. About 30% of the total time (=2.400.000 ticks) is spent
inside the "Self" of this file! Another interesting function is
"RequestHandler->setTree()". This file consumes 16% of the total time -
but half of that is in the "Self" of this function.

More than 70% of the total execution time is spent in the "Self" column
of non-php functions. But ultimately, everything is php code, and we
want to know which php code is relatively slow here.

Is it possible what I'm asking, or is that 70% the time PHP spends
parsing, tokenizing, etc..?

Regards,
Bert