[xdebug-general] Re: Request regarding xdebug, for Windows

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:24:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Gilad Japhet wrote:

> I will be fine if I could only get the output that xdebug 1.3 used to
> provide.
> What I need is a binary snapshot (.dll) of xdebug 1.3.x for Windows that
> would work with PHP 5.0.x

Unfortunately I don't have the means to build this .dll on Windows yet,
so I can not make this snapshot for you.

> Perhaps there are other users like me who would appreciate it too. If,
> on the other hand, there is a way to tell xdebug 2 to provide output
> that is in the old, non-kcachegrind format, please enlighten me.
> In any case, I hope you can help me out. If not, just a brief negative
> response would be polite too.

THe reason why I changed from the old format to the new format is that
1) the old one cost too much performance and memory itself.
2) it was quite in accurate and was flawed.

I designed the profiler things in Xdebug 2 to be pretty modularized, so
it wouldn't be very hard to generate a different trace output, but it is
quite impossible to also summarize this data on the fly, as that's where
the performance hit comes from that kills the usefulness of the
profiler. I did have osme plans on making an output file like APD has
too, so that people can use the APD tool (in PHP) to generated
summarized data from the profiler outputfile. But I don't have much time
for that to do now.

PS: I would appreciate if you write to the mailinglist next time, and
please keep CC-ing it if you reply.