[xdebug-general] Re: AW: Re: xdebg version choose

From: Jerry Stuckle <jerry[@]smartechhomes.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 10:55:29 -0400

On 8/20/2015 5:35 AM, Nikolai Essel - MAXWORX GmbH wrote:
>>> I want to download xdebug for debug php code, but when I put my
>>> phpinfo() output, I just get “PHP versions below 5.4 are not
>>> supported.”Would you please tell me what that mean?
>
> >You are using PHP 5.2.6. That version of PHP is no longer supported, not by PHP itself (see http://php.net/supported-versions.php) and not by Xdebug.
>
> "No longer supported" only means u can´t use the actual version of the library. Even Microsoft recognizes that they cannot dismiss old functionality in few months. Many software is only developed once and then used 10-20 years. All others "should be" is far away from reality and only working for a small number of enterprises... Lucky guys which always can use actual programming features.

It means more than that. It also means there will be no more fixes for
the product, even if serious security flaws are found. Unsupported
versions of any software can be a huge problem.

> If you use PHP 5.2.6 you can go to the download page (http://xdebug.org/download.php) and scroll down until you find an Xdebug version which supports your PHP

A much better procedure would be to upgrade PHP to a more current
version. A lot of things have been fixed since 5.2.6. And then he will
be on a supported version.

--
Jerry