[xdebug-general] Re: Xdebug on AIX

From: Frank Fegert <fra.nospam.nk[@]gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 09:11:11 +0200

Hello,

thanks for you reply!

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 08:49:42AM +0100, Derick Rethans wrote:
> I was just wondering really whether PHP on AIX is just generally slower
> than PHP on Linux- your benchmark showed that to be the case *with*
> xdebug installed, but not without it installed.

ah, i see. Yes, the initial benchmarks were run without Xdebug and
showed a difference in overall page delivery times of a factor of
~3 between Linux and AIX. Whether this is caused by the particular
application (Redaxo CMS) or if PHP on AIX is in general slower is
what i wanted to figure out. So what i was prepared for is a time
delta of factor of ~3 in Xdebug/KCachegrind analysis. Instead i see
a factor >70 in the total time cost, which seemed oddly high.
Now i re-did the whole Xdebug profiling trace, with a bit more sane
settings for the xdebug.profiler_output_name parameter. It turns out
that i was by mistake comparing a trace for a single subsequent re-
quest on Linux with the overall trace for all requests on AIX. So,
as usual, the problem was sitting in front of the keyboard :-( Now
the figures look more like what was expected:
  Linux: ~220 000
  AIX: ~800 000

This is more in the neighbourhood of the expected factor of ~3. Un-
fortunately there seems to be no single culprit to be identifiable.
The individual function calls all seem to be a tick slower on AIX,
which sums up to the quite substancial time difference on the over-
all request.

Thanks & best regards,

    Frank Fegert