[xdebug-general] Re: Tricky Remote Debugging Set Up

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:18:40 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011, Ben Waine wrote:

> Here are my settings:
>
> zend_extension = /usr/lib64/php/modules/xdebug.
> so
> xdebug.var_display_max_depth=7

That one has no influence on debugging btw.

> xdebug.remote_enable=1
> xdebug.remote_host=192.168.56.1

> xdebug.remote_handler=dbgp
> xdebug.remote_mode=req
> xdebug.remote_port=9000

Those last 3 are not required, as they are the default.

> html_errors = 1;

I wouldn't recommend a ; at the end there.

> I then exported the XDEBUG_CONFIG environment variable as outlined in the
> docs:
>
> export XDEBUG_CONFIG="idekey=netbeans-xdebug"
>
> I then run a php script:
>
> php test.php
>
> At this point execution hangs on the guest VM.
>
> On the host machine I have tried the following two things:
>
> 1) Start a Netbeans debugging session (right clicking on the project, debug)
> - The PHP script hangs on the guest machine

Please have a look at:
http://blog.rafaeldohms.com.br/2011/05/13/debugging-phpunit-tests-in-netbeans-with-xdebug/

> 2) After quiting Netbeans I tried using the bundled debugging client.
>
> I got the following response when restart the php script:
>
> waineb[@]waineb-HP-Z200-Workstation:~/xdebug/xdebug-2.1.1RC1/debugclient$ sudo
> debugclient

There is no need to sudo that one as port 9000 is not priviledged.

<snip>

> This seems to indicate that the xdebug has connected to the client. However
> when I issue commands like 'run' or 'status' I get the following error:
>
> (cmd) status
> <response xmlns="urn:debugger_protocol_v1" xmlns:xdebug="
> http://xdebug.org/dbgp/xdebug" command="status"><error
> code="3"><message><![CDATA[invalid or missing

Every command needs a "-i <uniqid>", such as an auto-increment integer.

cheers,

twitter: @derickr and @xdebug