[xdebug-general] Tricks for speeding up xdebug

From: Andres Riancho <andres.riancho[@]gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:49:26 -0300

List,

    I'm running xdebug to measure the code coverage of different
applications, and found out that xdebug is running VERY, VERY slowly.
The first run is with the xdebug module disabled, and the second one
is with xdebug enabled (the tm.py script performs 10 requests to the
index.php file of a wordpress installation):

root[@]webspider:/tmp# time python tm.py
real 0m0.775s
user 0m0.104s
sys 0m0.028s
root[@]webspider:/tmp# time python tm.py
real 2m44.847s
user 0m0.352s
sys 0m0.072s
root[@]webspider:/tmp#

    Could someone give me some tips and tricks on making xdebug run
faster? I don't care about detailed stack traces, debugging or
profiling, I only want to collect code coverage information.

    This is my installation:

- Installed the "php5-xdebug" package in Ubuntu, the package version
is "2.0.3-1~hardy1"

- xdebug.ini:
    zend_extension=/usr/lib/php5/20060613+lfs/xdebug.so
    xdebug.var_display_max_depth=5
    xdebug.extended_info=1
    xdebug.collect_vars=Off

- PHP Version 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.10