[xdebug-general] Re: using xdebug with php designer

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:40:53 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Lawrence Flancbaum wrote:

> When I debug through a procedure in one file and it calls another
> file, I expected that the debug would continue through the called file
> ie be able to step through the code in the 2nd called file as well as
> the first. unfortunately it doesn't. I asked the support team at
> phpdesigner and they responded
>
> “Thanks for the feedback. Not sure if Xdebug support this fully…
> alternative you must debug it manually, both index.php and login.php.”
>
> That’s surprising that xdebug may not be able to do this – how would
> you suggest the best way to debug through different files in a single
> code procedure …. the idea of having to hard code variables at the top
> of each file called in a procedure doesn't sound like my idea of fun
>  .

Once a debugging session is started with Xdebug, it remembers this and
will open a debugging connection until it is instructed to stop doing
that. It's up to the IDE whether they are listening for more incoming
connections or not. Actually, most IDEs will allow you to just listen
for incoming connections, which can simply be started by adding
XDEBUG_SESSION_START=1 as a POST or GET variable. Whether phpdesigner
supports this I don't know.

Like Xdebug? Send a postcard: http://derickrethans.nl/xdebug_2_released.php
twitter: @derickr and @xdebug