[xdebug-general] Re: xDebug interface for remote debugging (PHPxDebug)

From: Nathan Bruer <thegreatall[@]gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:33:58 -0600

I didn't realize i sent this directly to Derick so i will post what I posted
to him:

I actually created it for another project PHPWebBug (
https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpwebbug/) which is supposed to allow
people to edit/debug files on the server though a web GUI. As I am sure you
know you are limited on how a browser can talk to servers, so I am having
the server do much of the work and the client (web browser) make frequent
calls to the server to get updates. PHPxDebug is also supposed to allow many
sessions to be ran at once without interference from other sessions
(currently they are separated in the DB, but other scripts can access/change
other debugging info, which will be addressed later).

A few years ago when this project was started (and recently started back up)
Christoph Dorn (a early developer) and I got together under a common goal to
figure out a way to allow the browser to communicate with xDebug. Christoph
has a project FirePHP (http://www.firephp.org/) which is very similar to
what my project did, so we got together and came up with a middle man script
to allow communications easier without having to do port listens and such.

The true goal of PHPWebBug is (for example) have PHPxDebug running as
administrator, and in your server panel software (like cPanel or other back
end site admin panels) would have it integrated into the software allowing
users to debug their scripts live on the server securely. (also the use for
independent use)

-Nathan

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Christoph Dorn <christoph[@]christophdorn.com