[xdebug-general] Problem installing xdebug dll for thread-safe PHP 5.3.0 in WinXP SP2

From: Mohammad Hossein Ahmadi <smhahmadi[@]gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 01:11:12 +0330

Hi

I'm a PHP newbie and I'm trying to set up my PHP environment. I've just
installed Apache 2.2.11 and thread-safe PHP 5.3.0 (VC9, non-debug build) on
my Windows XP SP2 machine. I downloaded (thread-safe)
php_xdebug-2.0.5-5.3-vc9.dll and put it in my PHP_DIR/ext folder and added
the following line to php.ini: (PHP install dir is
F:/Programs/Development/PHP)

zend_extension_ts="F:/Programs/Development/PHP/ext/php_xdebug-2.0.5-5.3-vc9.dll"

But phpinfo() doesn't show anything related to xdebug, and no errors show up
in the browser (I have error_reporting = E_ALL | E_STRICT and display_errors
= On and display_startup_errors = On in php.ini) or the Apache error log.
There's also no mention of Zend Optimizer or any other Zend extension in
phpinfo() output.

I also tried "php -m" in command line, and xdebug doesn't show up in the
installed modules (neither PHP nor Zend). I uncommented some extensions in
php.ini (e.g. SQLite) to see if php.ini is actually being read, and it was
shown in "php -m" output. Also I changed "zend_extension_ts" to "extension"
to make sure the xdebug dll path is right, and Apache crashed complaining
about it. So the php.ini is being used by PHP and the DLL path is valid.

I'm confused, esp. since I don't get any error messages (simply nothing
happens), and I didn't find anything useful while searching the Web
extensively. I even have the impression that my PHP simply ignores
zend_extension_ts directives in php.ini! I'm not sure if I have missed
something obvious or there's a bug. I found this link which says that xdebug
has problems with PHP 5.3.0:
http://www.elizabethmariesmith.com/2009/03/xdebug-thread-safety-and-php-53/
Is it related?

Thanks in advance.