[xdebug-general] Re: xdebug remote setup configuration

From: Anthony Nelson <anthony[@]snow-blind.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 15:39:55 -0600

Shawn Clark wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 13:36:59 -0600
> > From: anthony[@]snow-blind.net
> > To: derick[@]xdebug.org
> > CC: paul.shoemaker[@]helloecho.com; xdebug-general[@]lists.xdebug.org
> > Subject: [xdebug-general] Re: xdebug remote setup configuration
> >
> > Derick Rethans wrote:

> debugging

> zend_extension
> messages are
> breakpoints to

> debug, but
> whole page

> appreciated.

> tailing
> log and
> debug

> > > Make sure the webserver user has write permission to that location
> > > though, and use an absolute path. Another thing you should check is
> > > whether you have Xdebug loaded as Zend Extension.
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > Derick
> > >

> > I was writing to /tmp and all the users had write access. I did put the
> > reference as a full path /tmp/xdebug.log.
> >
> > I set it up using zend_extension=/path/to/xdebug.so. As I said before,
> > the other non-interactive parts of xdebug work like the reformat of the
> > var_dump and the error messages. I just can't seem to find a way for it
> > to respond to a remote debug session. I'm not sure what other steps to
> > go through to verify this.
> >
> > Thanks for the tips.
> >
> > Anthony
> >

> One thing I noticed is that you said your only additions to the
> php.ini was xdebug.remote_debug=on and the zend_extension. You should
> be adding a xdebug.remote_host and xdebug.remote_port setting as well.
> By default the xdebugger will try to find the IDE on the localhost. By
> the sounds of it you have developers remotely so you would need to
> setup the remote_host. If you have more than one developer then you
> have to look into setting up a proxy but that would be a next step
> once you can get your one debug going.
>
> --
> Shawn Clark

> Windows Live Messenger makes it easier to stay in touch - learn how!
> <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9650731>
Yes sir. That seemed to work. All the articles I read about setting this
up pretty much just said to use localhost or to set it to the server
name. Even the description in the xdebug documentation didn't seem to
make it truly clear that it needed to be set to the client host name.

I guess the next step is setting up a proxy. I have only done a quick
search but I will hit up this list for recommendations. Are there better
ones? A good tutorial to do this?

Thanks for all the help.

Anthony