[xdebug-general] Problem connecting xdebug server to client

From: Eelke Blok <eelke[@]blokspeed.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:57:28 +0100

Hi all,

I've been spending the past hours trying to get XDebug to work.
Finally, I found this message in the mailing list archives. I could've
written it myself, it seems to be the exact same problem. The only
difference is that for me, this is the first time I am setting up
XDebug.

http://www.xdebug.org/archives/xdebug-general/1404.html

---
Tearing my hair out.  On a local Windows XP sp2 machine, with apache &
php 5.2.5, xdebug v. 2.0.3
xdebug is working; it writes to the log file.  I had it communicating
to the client before, haven't used it for a while, tried a new client
(eclipse); couldn't get breakpointing to work, decided to go back to
basics, with the command line client 0.9.0; and it just sits there,
"waiting for debug server to connect".
Yes, I've restarted apache, yes I've rebooted the machine, with all
other possible clients not restarted.  The xdebug section of phpinfo()
looks fine (see below).  All the ports should be 9000; I don't know
any other program that might be running on port 9000; I scanned the
ports and the only thing I see on 9000 is xdebug client, listening.
xdebug.remote_enable is on -- I don't know what else to do or check.
Why won't they connect???  I've spent 12 hours on this now, and I'm
tearing out my hair.  And about to throw my computer to the ground.
If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very grateful.  Is there any way I can
sniff for xdebug; debug xdebug?
---
Differences: I am on Windows Vista, PHP is 5.2.6. There is one reply
in the archives, which says that autostart is off and that therefore
XDEBUG_SESSION_START=1 (or similar) must be appended to the URL in the
browser. I don't know about the original poster, but I am doing that.
Below you find my xdebug settings from phpinfo:
---
xdebug
xdebug support	enabled
Version 	2.0.3
Supported protocols	Revision
DBGp - Common DeBuGger Protocol 	$Revision: 1.125.2.4 $
GDB - GNU Debugger protocol 	$Revision: 1.87 $
PHP3 - PHP 3 Debugger protocol 	$Revision: 1.22 $
Directive	Local Value	Master Value
xdebug.auto_trace	Off	Off
xdebug.collect_includes	On	On
xdebug.collect_params	no value	no value
xdebug.collect_return	Off	Off
xdebug.collect_vars	Off	Off
xdebug.default_enable	On	On
xdebug.dump.COOKIE	no value	no value
xdebug.dump.ENV	no value	no value
xdebug.dump.FILES	no value	no value
xdebug.dump.GET	no value	no value
xdebug.dump.POST	no value	no value
xdebug.dump.REQUEST	no value	no value
xdebug.dump.SERVER	no value	no value
xdebug.dump.SESSION	no value	no value
xdebug.dump_globals	On	On
xdebug.dump_once	On	On
xdebug.dump_undefined	Off	Off
xdebug.extended_info	On	On
xdebug.idekey	EELKE$	no value
xdebug.manual_url	http://www.php.net	http://www.php.net
xdebug.max_nesting_level	100	100
xdebug.profiler_aggregate	Off	Off
xdebug.profiler_append	Off	Off
xdebug.profiler_enable	Off	Off
xdebug.profiler_enable_trigger	Off	Off
xdebug.profiler_output_dir	/tmp	/tmp
xdebug.profiler_output_name	crc32	crc32
xdebug.remote_autostart	Off	Off
xdebug.remote_enable	On	On
xdebug.remote_handler	dbgp	dbgp
xdebug.remote_host	127.0.0.1	127.0.0.1
xdebug.remote_log	C:\xdebug.log	C:\xdebug.log
xdebug.remote_mode	req	req
xdebug.remote_port	9000	9000
xdebug.show_exception_trace	Off	Off
xdebug.show_local_vars	Off	Off