[xdebug-general] Re: Beginner issues with remote debug

From: Derick Rethans <derick[@]xdebug.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:00:59 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Anil T Samuel wrote:

> I tried these steps on Linux and Windows but same result.
>
> 1. modified php.ini
> a. to include zend_extension (or zend_extension_ts for windows).
> b. to include xdebug.remote_enable=On
> 2. from bash shell, export XDEBUG_CONFIG="idekey=session_name"
> 3. from same bash shell, tried php hello.php - I expected this to start a
> listening server at localhost:9000 (default values); but didnot.

That's correct, as PHP/Xdebug actually acts like a *client* to connect
to the IDE (the debugclient executable is actually the *server*).

> php -i shows the same php.ini as Configuration file as I modified above here.
> php -v shows that xdebug extension is loaded.
>
> then I tried debugclient; which seemed to listen at localhost:9000 and
> displays "Connect" when a connection is made; but doesnot return <init> packet
> as I expected.
>
> Am I missing something ?

Maybe, which version of both PHP and debugclient do you run, and, what
is the value of the xdebug.remote_handler setting?

Like Xdebug? Send a postcard: http://derickrethans.nl/xdebug_2_released.php